Friday, December 7, 2007

Update: Dentist

Thanks for the responses!

Manda - I think secretly, Dad wishes he could get up the nerve to go to the doctor for things that freak him out. I think he has a real fear of diagnosis; he doesn't want to get laid up until he's ready, and he'll never be ready. He told me once that he started hating doctors when they fucked up Pop's cancer diagnosis. I guess Pop went to the doctor a few weeks before he died, and they didn't know there was anything there, or they didn't say it at least, or something like that. Then there was nothing they could do to prepare.

Also, he doesn't want to play "the insurance game." I swear every time I'm home, we talk about insurance and national health coverage (which I believe in, to an extent), and he goes on about how the pharmacy started charging him more for his prescription when he told them he had insurance. I guess when he was uninsured, he just paid out of pocket and didn't care. But when he turned it into insurance, he saw on the statement that even though he paid less for the drugs, they charged the insurance company more than they ever charged him before. Now he just says, "I don't give a damn, I'll pay for it out of pocket." He's afraid that if he uses it too often, the benefits will be taken away. I guess that makes sense: after Mom had those tumors removed, Frank couldn't afford to keep him on the small company insurance. That's how he got on Mom's work plan, then got fucked over by being uninsured for years after the divorce.

But he loves nurses. When he broke his ribs, that's all he liked about being in the hospital. The food was great, and the nurses all cooed over him, he watched soap operas. Same thing about his finger getting cut off when he was a kid - it got him attention from the ladies. Which reminds me about his story about riding the bus. I guess when he was in grade school (like 1st, 2nd grade), all the 8th grade girls would go wild over how cute he was. He always grins sheepishly when he talks about it and says, "I loved it!"

Michelle - Do you mean GLEN SCHEPERS, DDS? Yes! That guy is a freak. I think he's the one that turned me off dentists in the first place. He gave me a root canal once, and explained everything he was doing in minute detail - "Now I'm going to drill all this dead tissue out of here, get that cleaned off. Yeah, then I'm going to stuff these dead nerves with concrete so they don't get infected! *Drill sounds: Buuuzzzzzhhhuhhhh, Buzzzhuuuhhhh, BUUZZhuuuhhh!* Yeah, that will be better in no time." Ugh! And he never. stops. smiling. What? Does he think he can show it off? Plus, I met his wife and child while doing a show at the Jasper Art Center - freaks. All of 'em. Stage parents, freaks.

Justin - I want to use my benefits to their full extent, but I guess I just get afraid of the diagnoses, like my family. I don't want to be a hypochondriac, but I don't want to be sick, either. Now for the most part I think, "I'm 25 - there can't be that much wrong with me." Besides my thyroid, my doctor says I have the clockwork of Michael Jordan - great blood pressure, good cholesterol, all right stamina. So the best thing I can do for myself is to keep up a high fiber diet, stay away from processed foods, and keep excercising. It's easier said than done, but I can commit to something once I get the hang of it.

I guess the real update is that I made my dentist appointment. Saturday afternoon. I looked specifically for a female dentist because the men just creep me out. The men are either old, talkative, and look down on me for the state of my mouth; or they're young and gorgeous and I get a little crush on them so much that it embarrasses me to have him poke around my mouth (without putting his dick in it - zing!). It's much safer with women because I don't give a fuck what they think. It's like the gynecologist rule.

Remember, Mr. T. says, "Brush them gums, fool!"

So there's that,

Laura

1 comment:

Michelle K said...

"I looked specifically for a female dentist because the men just creep me out. The men are either old, talkative, and look down on me for the state of my mouth; or they're young and gorgeous and I get a little crush on them so much that it embarrasses me to have him poke around my mouth (without putting his dick in it - zing!). It's much safer with women because I don't give a fuck what they think. It's like the gynecologist rule."


Man, we must have some fucked up genes..cause I am the same way. This extends way back to my youth. When I was in the 6th grade I had hip surgery, and my orthopedic surgen was HOT, and Mom thought so too, which added to the uncomfortableness (is that a word?) So when he would ask me if I had had my first period yet, I about died. I had to go back for check ups every 6mths, and he would ask again. I would literally get sick to my stomach, just because I knew he was going to ask me.

Yes I was speaking about G. S. "Let's take a look and see how these guys are doing" *shakes head back and forth while smiling like a jack in the box*

Steph goes to him too, and she asked the girls that work there if he ever shuts up. They didn't answer just shook their heads.