Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lo Mein

I'm doing some weight training tonight, so I've been thinking about how to best utilize the contents of my pantry and freezer for a protein-packed dinner.  After mulling it over for some time, I've decided I'm going to make lo mein.  I'm cooking up 2 servings so I can bring the other for lunch tomorrow.
 
Lean Lo Mein
Serves 2
 
4 oz.  whole wheat linguine, dry
3/4 c.  frozen, shelled edamame (soybeans)
1/2 c.  frozen asparagus, chopped
1/2 c.  frozen bell peppers
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 whole eggs
6 oz. frozen shrimp, defrosted and drained/dried thoroughly
soy sauce
asian style hot sauce (I like Sriracha)
chicken broth
corn starch
 
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, hot sauce, broth, and a bit of corn starch to thicken.  Set aside.
 
Cook linguine until al dente.  In the meantime, scramble eggs, chopping them into strips, and set aside.  In a small amount of oil, saute edamame, asparagus and peppers.  Add garlic when veggies are nearly cooked.    Add shrimp to saute, then toss in cooked eggs.  Add cooked, drained pasta to saute pan, then stir in sauce and cook until warmed through and thickened.  Served topped with fresh cilantro, if desired.
 
Nom.
 
So there's that,
 
Laura
 
 

No comments: