Monday, January 14, 2008

Like Butter

I just got back from my first work-sponsored yoga class. Oh. My. God.


I'd never done this stuff before - outside of hippie theatre warm-ups, the Curves stretch regimen, and anger management therapy - so I was a little sloppier than the others. But only when it came to the moves. Everybody else had the class before, so they knew the poses. I had to constantly look up to see if I was doing it right, so I wasn't focusing on breathing like I should have been.


But still, I was surprisingly super flexible. I could stand and touch my fingers to the floor without bending my knees, which I could never do in P.E. classes. I got a little huffy on "downward facing dog" (pictured on right), but I managed sustaining it. Hopefully after a few weeks of this, I'll be even more bendy. Plus, the instructor didn't even have to correct me, having walked past me a couple of times during the class and correcting others. Fat Girl is superior!


Bonus!: My back has been bothering me for the last few weeks - mainly because I tend to hunch over in my desk chair to see the screen...and to hide my internet habit. This weekend I was feeling tension in my lower back just lounging around the apartment. And this morning I noticed my back got tingly after sitting in the same position for too long on the 1/2 hour bus ride. I've been contemplating purchasing a shoulder band to draw my shoulders back so as they're not behind my ears.

But right now, my spine feels like butter. Buttah. And my shoulders are relaxed as I write this. I don't think they've been this far apart from my ears for months!

I'll let you know how this goes. I have another class tomorrow with a different instructor who is, reportedly, a "ball-buster." I look forward to the challenge.


So there's that,

Laura

No comments: