Monday, May 21, 2007

The Namesake


Hello Lovers,

I saw an amazing movie this weekend - The Namesake - and I think you should see it, even if I don't know you. I cried a lot, and I want to show it to everyone I know. It's about family, filial piety (a child's reverence of parents), and growing up different and being bitter about it. It's just...I want to hug my family after watching it. See it.


After a week of spotty dieting and hard exercise, I'm down 2.8 pounds - this brings my total contest weight loss to 7.8 lbs. Good stuff.

The trouble with a surprise loss after a naughty week is that I assume I can continue to be a naughty dieter and still lose something. This kind of thinking promotes a huge setback in me by not working up to my dieting potential.

Four years ago when I lost 100 pounds, the weight came off fairly easily. I averaged a loss of 5 pounds per week. I lost 60 pounds in the first three months, and I credit that to working in a sweatshop laundry factory in Montana. I lost 20 more pounds in August to December when my senior year of college began, and the other twenty melted away during the entire year of 2004. I started the Great Regain in May of 2005, when I moved into my first Chicago apartment, too far from Curves and too close to good restaurants.

Looking back, I guess it took a long time to lose that weight - about a year and a half. It's just taking me longer to get going. I recommited to a diet and excercise routine in January, and I've only lost 20 lbs. I doesn't compare at all with my prior weight loss successes. I guess I should just be happy that I'm losing. I just need to kick it into gear so I can blow these other fatties out of the water.

I made a banana split yesterday with homemade strawberry sauce and low fat ice cream. It was heaven.

So there's that,

Laura

No comments: