Monday, August 4, 2008

Recipe: Hot Beef Injection

If there's something you should know about me, it's that I love horseradish.  Love it.  When I make oven fries at home, I add horseradish to ketchup for a cocktail-saucy zing.  I keep wasabi paste on hand anytime I want my food to have Asian zip.  When I'm stuffed up, I eat wasabi peas by the handful to clear my sinuses.  I love heat, I love horseradish.
 
I've been on a sandwich kick for the past few weeks.  It started when I bought a loaf of high fiber bread and vowed to myself that I will eat a sandwich every day to get rid of the stuff.  I usually can't eat bread fast enough and it goes to waste.  So for the first time in years, I packed myself some sandwiches for lunch.  The following is my favorite.
 
Hot Beef Injection
Serves 1
 
1 Weight Watchers Bagel (or your favorite bread)
1 slice Horseradish Cheddar (I got this from the grocery's deli.  I think my brand is Hoffman's but I've seen it under the Boar's Head brand.  Muenster works too.)
1-2 oz thinly sliced roast beef
1-2 slices tomato
1 Tbsp Kraft Horseradish Sauce (It's in the condiment section, looks like mayo.)
 
Place the cheese on the bottom of the bun, meat on top of cheese, and tomatoes on meat.  Spread top of bun with horseradish sauce, place on top of sandwich, and wrap the whole thing tightly in saran wrap. 
 
I know you know how to make a sandwich, but the placement of cheese and sauce is crucial to me, especially if you're not going to eat it right away, and especially if you're using a bagel.  The cheese covers the bagel hole and prevents the bread from getting soggy.  The sauce protects the top half of bread/bagel from the tomato's moisture.  When you wrap it tightly, then the tomato juice can't run everywhere and leave you with a soggy mess the next day.  Trust me - I made tortilla wraps one day last week, put them in a Ziploc bag, and by the time I pulled them out for lunch the next day they were AWFUL.  Dripping wet on the outside.  Bleh.  I ended up trashing everything and going to Subway.  God bless plastic wrap.
 
Don't you deserve a Hot Beef Injection today?
 
So there's that,
 
Laura

No comments: